Sunday, December 09, 2007

Stroking Egos--One Thought At A Time...

It's finals week.

I was sitting in the computer lab today---which creeps me out, on account of numerous hands touching the keyboards--and began typing up one of the many papers procrastination had delt me, when I looked at the white boards on the wall to my left. There were over twenty quotes written up there, and I began reading--anything to delay actual schoolwork...
I tried to find one quote that had some sort of meaning, but only found shallow, lack-luster verbal illustrations. It seemed as if the writers were delaying their own work, riddling the whiteboard with jeeves' answer to: 'good+quotes'..or looking up their 'deep' friend on facebook's infamous quote wall.
With every uneventful quote I began wondering..... do we write to provoke thoughts--or stroke egos?

Whether it's a quote written to distract you from your work, academic papers that end up becoming idols to that 4.0 ideal, or just to prove we are capable of original thought---we're all guilty.
Look at me, hey I'm not proud.

What does this have to do with anything, my reader asks. Nothing, maybe.
I hate spelling out things, but am afraid my brain has yet to withdrawl off the crack I've been using to allow my academic career to be a success...

In a nutshell: My hope is that passion will win in the end.

I don't think thats too unrealistic, but then again...I've never taken logic, and am sure my thoughts are riddled with inconsistancies.

No comments: