Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Majority..hopefully.


...and life takes off...

I'm getting into the swing of things, and (once again) enjoying what and who is around me.

As many know, last week the DNC was in Denver--which provided many crazies: both in people and situations.

The week begun with Equalitea, which was hosted by The Feminist Majority--thanks to them, I was invited to the tea-- and given another ticket for a friend.
Now, if you know me you'd understand te excitement of this event...it was as if someone asked me to plan an event for the DNC, which included all things that were important to me politically--and an assortment of good teas..
The event was wonderful, despite the crowd of pro-life crazies lining the entrance of the venue with pamphlets and gorey pictures of fetuses. It was a little disconcerting coming up to the hotel, and seeing such hateful faces staring back at me (many of which under the guise of Christianity). It was sickening, and reminded me just how much I despise what Christianity has become socially.
ANYWAY! The event had an assortment of FANTASTIC strong female speakers--one of which was the "Si se puede!" creator, Dolores Huerta!
My expectations (though high) were met..completely. Huerta is someone that inspires so directly, yet is soo humble- and I learned is QUITE the partier...
I took a friend that knows me through Sterling, and was raised in the midwest bible belt--her response? "How did you ever go to Sterling?"-- touche.
How did that happen?

Work: Greenpeace. It's great, I'm a canvaser and I already enjoy it--the people I work with and the cause I am supporting... Not too shabby for a first job in Denver!

For Future Reference: When new to Colorado, make sure to drink and eat enough before a night of drinking and bike riding...effects are not pretty when both are missed!


1 comment:

Cayla said...

congratulations and good for you on ALL counts--sounds like you are flourishing--hey, send me your address so that i can send you all of the funny cards i've been finding for you.
hope all keeps going well....how are your classes?